Error in assignments....?

Joe Provo joe.provo at rcn.com
Tue Jun 11 14:16:22 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 03:00:41PM +0200, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:
[snip]
> Ok, my fault. I ment to say route object. However, I fail to see why (if)
> you would like to allow the same route to source from muliple AS:es....

The easy answer is that there is trash in the IRR. When looking a little
closer or talking about a well-run source DB consider the consolidation
of multiple ASNs, customers getting their BGP training wheels, etc other
typical origin changes. To smooth over any origin changes, it makes
sense to get route objects in at least a day or two in advance; if you're
doing large scale projects long-term overlaps are not at all uncommon.

If you think of the IRR as a 'flight plan' or the list of "intended
possibilities" then it makes more sense than trying to treat it as a
strict tracking of the live BGP table state. The latter would bring you
nothing but woe.

Cheers,

Joe
--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375