Bogon list

Sean M. Doran smd at clock.org
Tue Jun 4 23:57:52 UTC 2002

| While on the subject of IXP blocks, we also ended up redistributing the
| IXP blocks and sending them to our BGP customers (who do not receive a
| default) so that traceroutes and such from Looking Glasses do not break.
| They can then choose to filter them as they wish.

This is backwards.  Do not break the architecture to fix a broken
looking glass (or to work around bad interpretations of real-world
traceroute results).   Spend a few minutes scripting your looking
glass software so that if it sees a well-known target, or an expected
real-world result (1918 addresses that YOU are using, with expected
ttl-distance), it returns a "sanitized" result to a naive
looking glass user.

I wonder if there exists the possibility of a useful (perhaps open source)
generalized expert system to interpret traceroute data?
"configure; make; make install" is probably even easier than
breaking one's filter lists to leak prefixes all over the place.

	Sean.  (that was a hint.  you know who you are.)