Bogon list

Majdi S. Abbas msa at samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com
Tue Jun 4 20:37:44 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 01:24:04PM -0700, Clayton Fiske wrote:
> How does the absence of an IXP route affect traceroutes -through- it?
> The IXP device has a route back to the source of the trace, so it can
> reply. The traceroute packets are addressed to the ultimate destination,
> so they don't need the IXP route.

	Quite a few GUI traceroute products expect to be able to ping
each hop, and produce statistics based on that...definitely a bad
approach, particularly utilizing ICMP, but that's the common practice.
I cannot count the number of tickets I've seen opened because someone
didn't know how to properly interpret traceroute data.

	--msa