route authentication

Rodney Thayer rodney at tillerman.to
Tue Jun 4 15:15:58 UTC 2002

When I've tried asking about this I generally am told...

   (a) it was perceived to cause performance issues,
   (b) the routing software is so brittle that adding this feature
       is considered too high a risk,
   (c) they person at the other end
       didn't know how to enable it so you couldn't do it [in other words,
       there are urban legends about clueless network engineers too.]
   (d) no hacker could figure out how to get into the infrastructure far
       enough to attack that so it's not worth attacking (I consider this
       excuse invalid but that's just my opinion.  I can find Zebra and get
       into a colo, I assume the bad guys could if they felt like it.)

This also comes up at NDSS periodically, I believe.  You might check the
archives for that conference to see if there are papers on the topic.

I'm sure this august body can come up with some more data to identify
consensus reasons.