Adelphia update: WSJ SAYS DELISTING MEANS CREDITORS CAN ASK FOR 1.4 BILLION CASH, NOW.

blitz blitz at macronet.net
Sat Jun 1 08:29:41 UTC 2002

Don't hold your breath for Adelphia, theyr'e toast...

>Adelphia update: Bankrupcy looms. Insider report follows:
>
>>THIS IS ONE OF THOSE DAYS WHERE THE LATEST NEWS IS A LITTLE OLDER.  BY NOW I'M PRETTY SURE ALL OF YOU SAW THAT THEIR STOCK CAN'T BE TRADED ANYMORE....THE WALL STREET JOURNAL SAYS - AND THIS IS A FAIRLY NEW ANGLE-- THAT NOW BECAUSE OF NASDAQ HALT ON TRADING, BONDHOLDERS CAN CALL IN 1.4 BILLION IN DEBT. LIKE THAT SCENE IN "IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE," WHERE THEY WALK IN AND SCREAM GIVE ME MY MONEY NOW!!!!!!
>>
>> TWO DAYFILE ITEMS:
>>1.) BOARD MEETING SATURDAY, EXPECT FIREWORKS BETWEEN ERKIE AND LEONARD TOW, THE NEW GUY.  stories below confirm he's not happy. again, that's old news, though. although it now looks like tow wants to be chairman of the company.  and he tried to get backing from board member Gelber. stage is set for a battle.  NY Times did this overnight.
>>
>>2.) A STORY BELOW SAYS THAT THEY HAVE TO FILE SOME SORT OF NEW FINANCIAL PLAN BY JUNE 15. ( if they don't file bankruptcy first)
>>
>>AND ONE OTHER QUICK NOTE: MY PREDICTION ABOUT A THURSDAY BANKRUPTCY IS KAPUT.... BUT WITH THE WSJ SAYING DEBT CAN BE CALLED IN, AND WITH SALE TALKS TO CHARTER BREAKING DOWN, IT'S PROBABLY SOON.

Addendum: they BROKE down according to local news reports....(Buffalo, NY, home of the Rigas family)

> [...]
>>
>>Bank of America Corp., Citigroup Inc. and more than 20 other financial institutions are entitled under the terms of their lending agreement to receive the full amount of their loans after Adelphia failed to produce audited financial statements for 2001.
>>
>>``Taking an extra week to review this very complex situation gives banks a chance to further investigate what has happened,'' said Jonathan Glaser, head of JMG Capital Partners, which holds Adelphia convertible debt among its $1 billion in assets.
>>
>>The lenders are giving Adelphia more time to resolve a cash crunch and avoid bankruptcy so the company can try to sell assets or raise outside capital, the people said. They also want their bankruptcy adviser, Policano & Manzo, to verify the Coudersport, Pennsylvania-based company's earnings, cash flow and other financial information, the people said. Adelphia is seeking an asset-sale agreement to help convince bank lenders it will have the cash to meet future obligations.
>>
>>MEANWHILE THE AP WIRE IN PENNSYLVANIA DID A LIFE IN COUDERSPORT STORY... I DON'T HAVE ACCESS, BUT THE FIRST PARAGRAPH IS
>>
>>COUDERSPORT _ Sitting in her downtown diner after serving lunch to several Adelphia employees, Kaye Gerhart looks more than a little worried. Financial trouble at the struggling cable provider already has cut into her business. If the worst scenario happened and Adelphia failed, I don't think this diner is strong enough yet to survive. I'm afraid we'd be out of business.         BC-PA--Adelphia-Anxiety.
>>May 30, 2002 11:11 AM Dow Jones Business News via Dow Jones
>>
>>WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- Adelphia Business Solutions Inc. (ABIZQ) has withdrawn its request for final bankruptcy court approval of a $135 million debtor-in-possession loan from its former parent Adelphia Communications Corp. (ADLAE) and an entity controlled by that company's chairman and chief executive, according to a court filing Thursday. In a separate filing Dow Jones Newswires also obtained, Adelphia Business said it will discontinue certain local and long distance telephone services in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
>>
>>The company has sought bankruptcy court approval to sell some of its accounts in these states to BellSouth Telecommunications Inc. for about $750,000.    (This story was originally published by Dow Jones Newswires)
>>
>>*******************
>>
>>ALSO FROM THE AP-- IN A STORY ABOUT TOW'S PROTEST OF THE SALE:
>>
>>Kevin Kuzio, a bond analyst with KDP Investment Advisors, said banks probably would be reluctant to immediately call in the loans, but noted Adelphia also soon faces the expiration of a 30-day grace period on $44.7 million worth of debt payments it acknowledged missing in mid-May.
>>
>>We're getting close to the need for something to happen, Kuzio said.

By June 15, they need to have a financial plan together, some backing from the banks or private equity to give them the liquidity they need to make these debt payments.

> [...]
>>
>>These people said Mr. Tow's corporate history made it particularly unlikely the board would hand over control. Mr. Tow took over the Citizens Utilities Company without paying a penny, critics say, by having himself elected to the board and then pushing members off and replacing them with longtime associates. Once in control of the board, which included his wife — who is still a director — Mr. Tow received millions of dollars more in compensation than that of other utility executives at the time. And he made deals that shifted costs to Citizens, a cash-rich company in which he had a negligible stake, and shifted fees to Century Communications, a cash-poor company in which he owned a big stake. At the time, the California Public Employees Retirement System sent the company's directors a letter comparing them to "pigs at the trough" for having allowed Mr. Tow such free rein. Citizens Utilities was renamed Citizens Communications in 2000.
>>
>>People close to Adelphia's board also said that Mr. Tow, in the letter he released yesterday, misrepresented the sale of cable assets by saying it could be completed by today. They said that the statement was simply inaccurate and that the deal could not possibly happen that quickly.
>>
>>It is not entirely clear what Mr. Tow's strategy is for Adelphia, aside from his interest in taking control. In his letter, he argued for the company to recover its footing before selling assets, although he does not rule out such sales later on.
>>
>>As a shareholder, Mr. Tow is in a desperate position. Equity investors are the last to recover any money in a bankruptcy. And if Adelphia skirts bankruptcy, any sale of a crucial asset weakens the company, and thus its appeal to equity investors, because it removes valuable assets and cash flow. A fire sale of assets is the least desirable solution, Mr. Tow apparently believes.
>>
>>He may think that he is best able to negotiate with the banks to persuade them to resume lending, a move that could provide time for a more carefully planned sale of some assets, a person close to the talks said.
>>
>>He may think that in an organized bankruptcy, a planned sale of assets would bring better prices and even leave something over for equity holders, one bondholder said yesterday.
>>
>>Whatever his agenda, and that was not entirely clear yesterday, if the company does strike a deal with Mr. Allen to sell cable assets, it is not clear that Mr. Tow could stop such a sale. Stopping a sale would require a majority vote on the seven-member board, people briefed on the situation noted, and Mr. Tow has only two seats.
>>
>>In terms of shareholder votes, the Rigases controlled 60 percent of the votes through supervoting shares. In the wake of the current debacle, the Rigases have agreed that those shares would be voted by a special committee of outside directors.

My notes: The Rigas family is headed to prison, unless they have sufficient resources to buy their way out of this debacle, which seems VERY unlikely.