OC-768 availability?

blitz blitz at macronet.net
Tue Jul 30 01:32:02 UTC 2002

Seriously, I don't see OC768 coming online en masse until they get the
kinks worked out of optical switching. The transit times are so short thru
the innards, in the order of picoseconds, that electronics is way too slow
to perform such mundane tasks like determining where a packet is supposed
to go.
Thus, all this will require optical computing to be available cheaply and a
lot more widespread than it is now. Cross your fingers and hope for a
quantum breakthrough...
OC192 is already pushing the limits of present technology.
And add to that, the sorry state of the major players in telecom, and I
don't think you'll see them willing to pony up an investment in something
like that until it's well established.
A typical egg/chicken situation......