solving problems instead of beating heads on walls

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sat Jul 27 20:53:52 UTC 2002

At 4:04 PM -0400 2002/07/27, Paul Schultz wrote:

>  If you connect to the same transit(s) in both cities you can announce more
>  specific networks with no-export set, keep most of your external traffic
>  off your own network, and not cause the entire world to know about your
>  more specific advertisements.

	Right, but he's already explained that he is unable to connect to
the same two providers in both cities, because one of them doesn't
have a presence in both cities.

>  Responsible yet lacking some redundancy: connect to the same single
>  provider in both locations and announce more specific networks w/
>  no-export.

	That doesn't help if that one provider goes Tango-Uniform.

>  Irresponsible yet gaining redundancy:  connect to a different provider
>  in each region and announce more specifics.  no-export not an option,
>  longer prefixes heard globally.

	Can we gain redundancy by connecting to a different provider in
each city, but still find a way to be responsible?

>  Responsible and overall best: connect to the same 2+ providers in both
>  locations and announce more specifics locally in each region/city/whatever
>  with no-export.

	As said above, this isn't possible.  I'd like to learn what could
be done in this kind of situation that would allow the desired
redundancy, while also being responsible.

	I'm not a manager of a large network (where I might have this
kind of problem myself), nor am I employed at a large ISP (where my
customers might have this kind of problem).  But I would like to
learn.