BGP question... (SOT)

Rich Sena ras at thick.net
Sat Jul 27 18:29:06 UTC 2002

On Jul 26, 2002 Gerardo A. Gregory spake:

> On a serious note...I imagine the Nokia is in front of one of the
> Cisco's....(my assumption since the poster is as vague as a capitol hill
> politician)

Yeah sorry - vagueness is an art... it's pretty much a DMZ set up we have
an outside border (CISCO 7206VXR) and an inside border/distribution border
(CISCO 6513 MSFC)  The NOKIA is running a flavor of GateD that I have seen
this problem with before - I did find a work around.  The problem is that
the CISCO is sedning a version identifier (4) that GateD is identifying as
an authentication string.  The error that the 7206vxr is receiving is a
'BGP-3 Authentification failure'  I cludged it by setting a MD5 auth
string on the NOKIA as "4" - that solved the prob on that side - but I
think I am still having an issue with the 6513.  It was an upgrade that
our firewall group had rolled into production - to replace a
Solaris/Checkpoint setup that was running iBGP with Zebra.  All we are
really passing is default in and accepting some routes from a secure
server farm connected to the 6513. The Farm will be dual homed to 2 of our
campuses in the near future (otherwise since it is now stub we could
static it.)

Anyway - thanks...

> If this is the case, then take the stinking firewall and place it behind the
> router, let the routers do their Peering, and even place some Bogon-lists on
> the router, and some basic bogon filtering for your ingress traffic.  (take
> as much illegitimate traffic of the firewall).

Yeah it is see above..

> But hey, does this belong in the NANOG anyway.......?

Prolly not - I asked for replys to me directyl and did get quite a few
helpful ones - I'm replying back to the nog cuz I got spanked a little by
Sue for the beer off-shoot to this and to provide the little bit more
detail that you were asking for...  Anyway I took a mulligan on teh beer
thread and am now playing through... thanks...

> my 2 cashings!!!

Kaching - thanks again...

Rich Sena - ras at thick.net
ThickNET Consulting
"On the way to understanding; you understand, and forget."