routing table size

Bradley Dunn bradley at dunn.org
Sat Jul 27 16:15:57 UTC 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> If the size of the global routing table is really an important issue, why
> not start filtering /24 announcements?

By all means, go ahead. You don't need anyone's permission. Report back with
your results.

> I have more of a legal right to use my /20 since I pay ARIN >$2K/yr for
> it, vs most /24 owners.

Setting aside the fallacy that people have different rights based on how much
they paid for their allocation, you are of course free to announce whatever
slices of your /20 you want.

What you seem to have trouble grasping, and this is the key point, is that the
rest of the world is free to ignore said announcements. If you're not their
customer they don't owe you anything. Period. No matter how many times you post
to NANOG.

Bradley