verio arrogance

Stephen Griffin stephen.griffin at rcn.com
Sat Jul 27 01:34:03 UTC 2002

In the referenced message, Ralph Doncaster said:

> > That said, their current policy of refusing to accept de-aggregated
> > prefixes from peers (while accepting such from paying customers) makes
> > perfect sense, IMHO.  Not arrogant, just a smart & reasonable business
> > decision.
>
> I have one downstream ISP customer that explicitly asked for "full BGP
> routes" to be written into the contract.  Why Verio's customer's wouldn't
> want full routes makes no business sense to me.
>
> However a NANOG list subscriber was kind enough to help me get past
> Verio's NOC monkeys and get their filters updated to allow my
> announcements.
>
> -Ralph

Accepting any route from anyone doesn't make much business sense to
me. At least if you are interested in a quality network. If you'ld
like, I'm sure multiple ISPs would be happy to send you all of their
/32s.

Verio's policy seems like a very responsible way to run a network.
I'm saddened that more folks don't do filtering based upon RiR policy.

Not announcing your largest aggregates is just plain stupid. If your
peers are willing to accept more-specifics tagged no-export, with MEDs,
then go for it, but the rest of us don't need them.

I'm a little disappointed in Verio, if they really did decide to accept
your unneccessarily deaggregated prefixes.