QoS/CoS in the real world?

Fletcher E Kittredge fkittred at gwi.net
Fri Jul 26 17:49:14 UTC 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 17:31:51 -0400  "Jeff Hancock" wrote:
> My apologies on the low SNR.  The original question(s) centered around
> the customer requirements/applications/experience and I thought the
> product guys could speak to it better than I ... and certainly and
> without giving away any of our "patent pending processes".  :)
>
> I think "native" can be translated as to mean "non-ATM".  All core links
> are PPP/POS.
>
> MPLS does not imply or require DSCP, or vice versa.  DSCP/EXP promotion
> ensures priority packets to be forwarded ahead of best effort at each
> hop thru the network.  Could this be done other ways? Sure.  The
> original question was how was/is this being done for customer traffic -
> this is how we do it in the core...along with queueing gymnastics.=20
>
> As for MPLS features, I think fast re-route qualifies.  MPLS also
> provides traffic eng capabilities, as well as in-order packet delivery,
> which we've found to be useful for customer voice 'n video traffic.

My guess is that what Kurtis was trying to do is verify a hypothesis
that many thinking people hold: there is not a significant market for
QoS service[1].  Your response sounds like a description of your
service, not data that suggests such a market really exists.  I
believe you when you say you provide the service, but the question is
do you have any significant number of customers paying a premium for
QoS over best effort?  If so, do you have audit financials that show
paying customers for QoS services?

thanks,
fletcher

1. "Quality of Service" service  is provided to you by the
   DRD (Department of Redundancy Deparment)