PASSIVE [D]WDM... Like, Cisco 15216.

Simon Lockhart simonl at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu Jul 25 06:12:20 UTC 2002

On Wed Jul 24, 2002 at 11:02:21AM -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
> First, has anyone had experience with ITU Grid Optic GBICs? Do they even
> exist?

Cisco sell "CWDM" GBICs, which are sort of on ITU wavelengths, but with a
wider spacing. I've not tried them to see if I can use them with the 15216
but "sparsely".

> Second, does anyone know of a 'back-box' that will take standard 1310 or
> 1550 nm signal, and 'convert' it to an ITU grid?

I'm currently using the 15454 to wavelength convert OC48 signals, but have
not to date seen a black-box wavelength convertor - I would also be interested
to know if such a beast exists. I think if you want to do this, you're stuck
with the Metro 1500 (or equivalent from someone else), which becomes very
expensive quickly.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516
BBC Internet Services                | Email: Simon.Lockhart at bbc.co.uk
Kingswood Warren,Tadworth,Surrey,UK  |   URL: http://support.bbc.co.uk/