Juniper security appnote + martians

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Wed Jul 24 15:57:25 UTC 2002

> Gents,
> I thought I would pose the martians question here as well...
>
> I'm trying to find out additional information on the reasoning behind
> adding these martians to the Juniper's security appnote found on their
> website:
>
> Prefix		Description
> 19.255.0.0/16	Ford Motor Company
> 129.156.0.0/16 	Sun Microsystems
> 192.5.0.0/24	no match
> 192.9.200.0/24	no match
> 192.9.99.0/24	Sun Microsystems

	A number of these prefixes were used in early documentation
	and as such were widely deployed by early adopters of IP.
	In the "bad old days" a large number of sites stood up IP
	networks in isolation, only interconecting -after- inital
	rollout was done.  Consider it as an early empirical trials
	with RFC 1918 space :)

	Based on the confusion, 192.0.2.0/24 was earmarked for
	use in documentation... :)

	I know of no good reason why Juniper continues to flag these
	legacy blocks.

--bill