PSINet/Cogent Latency

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Jul 23 15:02:47 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 09:53:41AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> There is a C library, librrd.  That is how the other language APIs are
> built.  As to efficiency, there is a lot of stringification, which is
> inconvenient and unnatural in C, but this should not be the bottleneck in
> the collection operation.

Yeah that thing, but I don't consider "rrdtool(argc, argv);" to be an
actual lib interface. :)

Where the bottleneck happens is dependant on a lot of things. I've seen
libsnmp using code (which is vile at best) put out more than enough
queries, so it can be done. After that, your bottleneck probably would be
all the string parsing and file opening for every transaction in RRD.

For a laugh, consider the fact that mrtg used to PREPEND data to its
.log files on every poll. :)