Power loss in downtown manhattan

Chrisy Luke chrisy at flix.net
Sun Jul 21 00:58:41 UTC 2002

Richard Newcomb wrote (on Jul 21):
> I think there must be a fiber issues.  A transformer blew and several others
> burned.  We have no connectivity.  And as you stated, 60 Hubson does not
> need ConEd to run.

You forget that "60 Hudson" doesnt' have a generator. It's a collection
of privately-leased spaces each of which is individually responsible for its
power needs. If you wanna generator, you need to rent space for it
(I believe there's no space on the roof anymore, so that means in the
stret), need to get landlord wayleave for cabling to it (duct space ain't
cheap, specially if you're on the higher floors) and get permits for noise,
fuel storage and so on. It ain't thrown in, and adds up to something
prohibitive in many cases in that particular building.

Digex, ergo Intermedia, ergo whoever it is today on the 23rd floor
managed to smuggle up a generator and install it within their suite.
I don't know if the landlord knows yet :) It's one of 60 Hudson's worst
kept secrets (or it was a few years ago, at any rate)

It begs the question why quite so much depends on that site.

Chris.
--
== chris at easynet.net                                    T: +44 845 333 0122
== Global IP Network Engineering, Easynet Group PLC     F: +44 845 333 0122