verio arrogance

David Diaz dave at smoton.net
Fri Jul 19 03:54:30 UTC 2002

Getting back to the more original thread.

Is there any need to keep the routing table to a smaller size.  Since
in theory, it creates suboptimal routing. And considering the new
routers out there today should be able to handle it.  Considering
verio is using junipers, and they pride themselves on handling a
tremendously large table.  Why should we shoot for a 100,000 route
table instead of 500,000 if it does not impact performance?

I do understand that the 100,000 might be that actual 'installed best
routes' and that the routers might in fact be dealing with a much
larger route table.  That might be an issue.  But certainly 100,000-
500,000 installed routes, is that a problem for large backbones with
high end routers?

My only consideration might be the small multihomed ISPs with 2-3
providers with full BGP feeds and cisco 4000s (256meg ram).  I saw
one last week.  I might be concerned at that level.

I'd love to hear feedback.  It would then justify filtering...or not.

David

At 21:37 -0400 7/18/02, Phil Rosenthal wrote:
>How is it arrogant?
>I read that as: a customer set up an exploitable FormMail.  Verio
>received notice about it. Verio removed the FormMail in question. Verio
>asked to be removed since they corrected the problem. Verio was ignored.
>
>Verio may have some problems with not terminating spammers, and I
>believe this to be the truth -- I buy from verio, and Don't spam, and
>whenever one of my clients spam, they get terminated for it.  I receive
>plenty of spam from verio ips, and no matter how much I complain, it
>never gets terminated.  This is probably a scenario of asking sales rep
>"If I want to spam, but I pay more per meg -- Is this OK?"  and getting
>a positive answer.
>
>That is why the NANAE people don't like verio.  But, nonetheless, I
>don't think that putting verio's mailserver on a formmail list is
>accomplishing anything good, since they fixed THAT problem...
>
>--Phil

David Diaz
dave at smoton.net [Email]
pagedave at smoton.net [Pager]
Smotons (Smart Photons) trump dumb photons