verio arrogance

Kai Schlichting kai at pac-rim.net
Thu Jul 18 22:36:32 UTC 2002

How's THIS for Verio arrogance, going to a whole new level:

http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/verio-demand.ps

Details were on the SPAM-L list Wed, 17 Jul 2002  15:51:05 EDT:
Verio threatens to sue Ron Guilmette over the IP 208.55.91.59
appearing on his FormMail.pl open-proxy/formmail server DNSBL.

And given the ever-increasing number of spammers now hopping onto Verio
tells me that Verio must be well down the spiral of death (spammers seem
to be attracted by NSP's going chapter 7/11, or who are getting close),
or else the dozen-or-so automated messages going to abuse at verio.net every
week complaining about connections (real or attempted) to hosts under
my control, and originating from their spamming customers would have shown
any results over time.

I don't need connectivity to 208.55.0.0/16. I really don't, and I have not
the slightest tolerance for litigious, small-minded, panic-lawyer-dialling
scum like this.

/etc/mail$ grep 208.55 access.local
208.55                  550 Access for FormMail spam and litigious scum denied - XXXX Verio in their XXXXXXXX XXX - we block more than just 208.55.91.59 - Spammers must die - see http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/verio-demand.ps
/etc/mail$

PS: I also have zero tolerance for Nadine-type spam-generating, "single-opt-in",
  "87% permission-based" emailers nowadays: 2 bounces or a single mail to a
   never-existing account, and all your /24's are off into gated.conf as a
   next-hop route to 127.0.0.1. And no, they won't get around that by advertising
   /25's.

Good-bye route-prefix-filtering wars, and welcome to the war on spam,
where Null0'd /28's for filtering 'undesirables' just doesn't cut it any more.
Casualties like 10-15 bystanding rackspace.com customers with a "Nadine-
type" mailer in neighboring IP space be damned: "move your servers into a
different slum, cause da landlord's running down 'da neighborhood".

--
"Just say No" to Spam                                     Kai Schlichting
New York, Palo Alto, You name it             Sophisticated Technical Peon