verio arrogance

Ralph Doncaster ralph at istop.com
Thu Jul 18 20:27:50 UTC 2002

> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:
>
> > And your suggestion has technical deficiencies as well.  I have a leased
> > line between Toronto and Ottawa, so I want to announce my Ottawa IPs to my
> > Toronto transit provider as well as an Ottawa transit provider.  And the
> > reverse for the Toronto IPs.  My understand is trying to punch holes in PA
> > space is much more difficult than de-aggregating ARIN PI space.
>
> I can't really see why, as long as the provider has punched the
> appropriate hole for your aggregate in their filters.  More specific
> routes always win out.  Or am I missing your point?

If the block isn't assigned to you by ARIN, I've encountered cases where
network operators request an LOA before accepting the announcement, even
if there is an RADB entry for it.  As well, if you have PA space and your
upstream allocates you a 66.x for example, then you're back to square one.

-Ralph