No one behind the wheel at WorldCom

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Tue Jul 16 11:55:42 UTC 2002

> I would still contend that the number 1 issue is how you do express
> the policy to the routing code. One could potentially attempt to
> recognise the primary key is a route-map/policy-statement and compile
> it as you suggest. It is an idea that ends up being tossed up in the
> air frequently, but would that solve anything ?

Actually, expressing RP on per-router basis is kind of silly, and an
artifact of enterprise-box mentality.  A useful design would allow
formulation of RP for the entire network with subsequent synchronization
of routers with the policy repository.

> Is there the ability in the backend systems to manage that effectivly
> and if so is text interface via the CLI the most apropriate API ?

Cisco-style CLI is extremely annoying and silly.  There's no useful way to
perform a switch-over to a new config, and there's no good way to compare
two config and produce applicable difference.

That said, I think a well-designed CLI is a powerful thing, and can be
used to integrate routers with provider-specific NMSes.

--vadim