fractional gigabit ethernet links?

Phil Rosenthal pr at isprime.com
Tue Jul 16 03:31:41 UTC 2002

This may sound a bit ridiculous, but say the timer is every 0.25ms.
100kbit per 0.25ms = 400,000kbit or 400 mbit.
It is remotely possible to hit a 300 mbit limit with only 100kbits of
traffic, if the timer is sufficiently short, and your traffic is
sufficiently bursty.

Unless your traffic is Mcast, I doubt that issue is related.

Can you ask your provider how exactly they are limiting the pipe?  When
dealing with 300 or so megs, I doubt they will be shaping with a policy
friendly to you, as the logistics of doing so are a bit difficult.

--Phil