fractional gigabit ethernet links?

Phil Rosenthal pr at isprime.com
Tue Jul 16 02:54:44 UTC 2002

Hello Alex,

I'd say this sounds obvious, but may be deceptively so...
If you are taking a pipe capable of 1000 mbit, and rate-limiting it to
311 mbit, the logic used may be:

In the last 1000 msec have there been more than 311mbits?  If yes: drop.

What you want is to shape the traffic, so the rule would be:
In the last 1000 msec have there been more than 311 mbits? If yes: store
until the msec period is up, then transmit.

If you are pushing 100 mbits over this link, it is entirely likely that
there will be a few sub-second burts up to 1000 mbit, and a few
sub-second drops to 0mbit.

An option for you would be to just figure out what the exact
rate-limiting rules are, and then shape it into those rules on your side
of the link -- assuming they wont change it to a shaping rule.

--Phil