QoS/CoS in the real world?

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Sat Jul 13 23:46:31 UTC 2002

Well, end of the week and the responses dried up pretty quickly, I think thats a
response in itself to my question!

Okay, heres a summary which was requested by a few people:

Other people too are interested in my questions, they dont implement QoS in any
saleable manner and wonder how it can be done and whats actually required.

A number of people think QoS was interesting for a while but that its never
either found its true use or is dead.

There are unresolved questions from a customer point of view as to what they are
actually going to get, what difference it will make and how they can measure
their performance and the improvements from QoS.

There is a real demand for guaranteed bandwidth, however this tends to be in the
form of absolute guarantees rather than improvements above "normal" hence
ATM remaining a popular solution.

There is a requirement to differentiate voice traffic, however this is
necessarily done by the network anyway in order to offer the service, this being
the case the customer doesnt pay extra or gets to know much about how all the
fancy bits are done.

On the face of it this is all negative. Nobody has responded saying there are
genuine requirements for services to be offered to customers. Nor has anybody
responded with any descriptions of implementations.

I conclude either the people doing this are successful and keep their secret
safe or the world is yet to sell largescale QoS across IP.

Steve