Question regarding web hosting ip addressing

Scott Francis darkuncle at darkuncle.net
Thu Jul 11 20:29:20 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:22:53PM -0400, hannigan at fugawi.net said:

> Folks, could use some pointers.
>
> I seem to remember from experience some years ago that if you were
> hosting multiple domains for web hosting in a shared environment that
> they needed to have individual IP numbers assigned specifically to the
> domain, all sharing the interface, so things like AOL browser, etc.
> would all work properly.

I haven't heard of any problems with virtual hosting and client-side
browsers. The only caveat I'm aware of is that SSL-enabled virtual hosts
(i.e. https://foo.bar.bz) must have a unique IP per host, due to the nature
of SSL and certificates.

> Am I out of date on this, or is it still common practice to assign a single
> ip number to a single web hosted domain i.e.
>
> hme0/1.2.3.1/www.test1.com
> hme0/1.2.3.2/www.test2.com
>
> ...and so on and so forth?

Only for SSL vhosts. Otherwise, there are no problems (well, very few anyway)
that I am aware of in using a single IP to host as many vhosts as physical
resources will allow.

I'm quite certain somebody will correct me if I've missed something. :)
--
-= Scott Francis || darkuncle (at) darkuncle (dot) net =-
  GPG key CB33CCA7 has been revoked; I am now 5537F527