Paying for delivery of packets (was about Sprint Peering, and Importance of Content)

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Thu Jul 11 15:37:01 UTC 2002

On 07:55 AM 7/11/02, David Diaz wrote:

 >Shane as far as the "thought" that backbones will "pay" to get to
 >your content.  It's just not going to happen.  If the content were
 >that important they might go directly to your customers and offer
 >them a wonderful deal to buy a link from them.

The reason it's not going to happen is that in today's economy it's more
important for a content provider to have their particular content delivered
to the end user than the end user wants the particular content.  Most end
users have choice, they can get the same or similar content from many
different sources.  Example: they can get news from CNN, on MSNBC, or the
Washington Times, or the NY Times, or Reuters, etc.  Most content providers
need every eyeball they can get, they can't afford to choose who can or
can't see their content.  Thus, if there's a temporary or persistent
connection problem between the two parties (content provider, end user's
eyeballs), in the aggregate it ends up hurting the content provider more
because in most cases the end user will usually just go find the same or
similar content elsewhere.  CNN learned this lesson on 9/11.  When end
users were unable to reach CNN, they went to other sites.  This hurt CNN a
lot more than it hurt the end users.

If the problem is with an "important" connection, say between a user and
their online brokerage account, they will either change IPSs or change
brokerages.  Which is easier to change?  For most users, it's easier to
change online brokerages.

That's why Akamai has a business model, content providers pay extra to
ensure that their content can get to the end user, and get there fast, so
that the user doesn't turn away and go to another site.  That's also why
"user pays" websites haven't been very successful, except for niche markets
(where the content is specific to the end user's needs, and not widely
available elsewhere online).

It is my opinion that eventually the Internet will be mostly funded by
those who send packets, and will be mostly free for those receiving said
packets, much in the way that 800 numbers are funded in the telephone
system.  In order for that to work, we will need a settlement system.  I
predict that something like this will start happening before
12/2005.  Certain services that are highly desired and high bandwidth
(streaming radio comes to mind) will be funded with a subscription model,
so that the end user continues to get the content without paying extra
"delivery fees" to the ISP, but with payment to the originating site, and
then settlements to the systems that carry packets.  Ultimately, it will be
free to get packets, and expensive to send them.  End users will continue
to pay a modest fee to get connected, but will have high speed connections
(where feasible) and a modest outbound packet allotment.  If they want to
send more packets than a typical end user (sending lots of email, or
hosting a web server at home), they will also be a "content provider" and
have to pay more for the packets they send.

jc