OT - Importance of Content

David Diaz davediaz at smoton.net
Thu Jul 11 14:55:11 UTC 2002

Chicken and the egg.

About 1997 - early 1998 time frame, there was talk of some big
content players getting together to do something similar.  I remember
it was some large financial institutes, Disney, etc.  There were 5
serious content players that could not get peering and were being
forced into a corner to pay what they considered extreme pricing for
transit.  They were all in Pacbell territory and the talk was coming
together to force peering with some of the larger backbones or having
them lose access to the content.

It was a good plan except you have to be willing to following through
with the painful poker game.  There could be an outage of about a
week before a certain backbone might cave in.  Still the plan would
see to have a good chance of succeeding as long as you went 1
backbone at a time.  That way you do not create an organized
opposition.  Most downstream users would complain loudly if they
could not reach their brokerage accounts, or yahoo, or perhaps MSN
etc etc.

With many very large content players building out new backbones now,
we may see some of that.  More likely it will be pricing pressure on
transit, not transit-free peering.

Scott makes some good points.  (How is that shinny corvette?)

Shane as far as the "thought" that backbones will "pay" to get to
your content.  It's just not going to happen.  If the content were
that important they might go directly to your customers and offer
them a wonderful deal to buy a link from them.  Or they might "give"
them peering.  Or with much of the key content now residing of
servers like akamai, how much could u really make per meg since
akamai resides servers across different backbones.  It's an
interesting poker play, a long shot.  Still if you got yahoo and MSN
to go along with it.... then again you still have to argue the upside
to working through a 3rd party.

David

--

David Diaz