OT - Importance of Content

Scott Patterson scottp2 at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 11 02:02:27 UTC 2002

Be careful with this approach to gaining peering.......While you may gain
some, you will probably end up paying more in monthly transit fees than its
worth.  Speaking from experience here.......Having worked for a national
player that took this approach (prior to my involvement with the company, so
I did what I could with what I was given, thanks to an acquisition), I don't
care how much content you have, if you can't prove that you can meet the
remaining requirements that peers set forth (ratios, network size, # of
pinball machines per node), you aren't getting the peering.  Most of the
"large" networks don't care about your content.  They know if you fail to
provide quality routes to your customers, your customers will eventually
give up (I don't care if you only charge them $10/mb) and become their
customers (or customers of someone whom they already have a significant
peering relationship with). Ideally, if you wanted to obtain quality
peering, you would focus on gaining both types of traffic and sustaining a
"reasonable balance" of push:pull.  If not........I hope you have a lot of
cash in the bank to continue paying VERY high transit fees to accommodate
the volume of content that you bring on (Hopefully you charge your customers
more for transit than the rate you pay your upstream and you'll be OK ;).
If you fail to do so, you should see the implosion coming a mile away.  All
of this being said, don't build your business model around gaining content
to gain peering, b/c these days, there is no such thing as critical mass.

Just my $0.02

Scott