Evil PGP sigs thread must die. was Re: Stop it with putting your e-mail body in my MUA OT

Joseph T. Klein jtk at titania.net
Wed Jul 10 18:10:57 UTC 2002

Regarding electronic signatures.

The post was signed so you know for certain that I'm the knucklehead that
accidentally started the OT thread with my stupid joke. Arrogant or
not IMHO PGP sigs are a good business practice.

Signing post means only that you know with some certainty the bozo
to hold responsible. I want to own up to my bozoesk, arrogant and
stupid ramblings.

Using PGP sigs has far more operational relevance than my silly post.
Trusted relationships are an essential component to the operation of our
industry.

People have forged mail posted to this list in the past.

I also put my phone number on a bunch of my past posts. I am exercising my
right to be verifiably open and accountable for my stupid and arrogent
actions.

 ... but not with this e-mail.

--On Wednesday, 10 July 2002 12:49 -0400 Andy Dills <andy at xecu.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, JC Dill wrote:
>
>> What part of "it is rude to expect all members of a large and diverse
>> mailing list to accept and parse your particular attachment format" isn't
>> perfectly clear?
>>
>> Netiquette.  It's been around a looooong time.  You might try following it.
>
> I have no problem reading the attachments (pine displays most attachments
> nicely), but personally I think the notion of pgp signing every mail you
> send is extremely arrogant.
>
> Remind me again about why I should care about whether or not somebody was
> spoofing Joe Klein's email address, when this is the content:

<snip>
Joseph T. Klein                                         jtk at titania.net

    "Why do you continue to use that old Usenet style signature?"
                                                                -- anon