GBLX router upgrade breaks bgp sessions

John Kristoff jtk at aharp.is-net.depaul.edu
Wed Jul 10 14:17:56 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:04:38AM -0700, nanog wrote:
> Subject says it all.  GBLX upgraded some edge routers to a new JunOS
> release (possibly 5.3 rev 24)- and now our bgp sessions continually
> reset with:
>
> Jul 10 06:58:24 MST: %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor X.X.X.X 3/3 (update missing required attributes) 0 bytes

I don't know about gblx, but I saw a problem like this at our border.
After JunOS was upgraded to 5.3r2.4 (other side IOS) the session was
continually being reset.  The bgp session between theser two peers
was setup with family inet any (for multicast peering) and when that
was removed, the problem went away.  I also heard about a problem that
may be related I2 was having with their Juniper code, it sounded
related, but I haven't investigated the details yet.

John