Stop it with putting your e-mail body in ATT attachments. Its annoying and no one can see your message

Mike Lewinski mike at rockynet.com
Wed Jul 10 00:05:25 UTC 2002

"Adam McKenna" <adam-nanog at flounder.net> wrote:

> Just because it is the dominant MUA does not make it correct.  There are
> plenty of MUA's out there that have no problem displaying those messages.

Apologies in advance for perpetuating this OT flame war.... Anyone with MUA
replacement suggestions not covered below, please send them directly.

I have been searching for the last year to replace OE. Thus far, it is the
only IMAP client I have found which has these two critical qualities:

1) Does not crash attempting to load headers from an IMAP mailbox +500MB in
size / +2000 messages. I use server-side filters and segregate mail based on
date into subfolders by hand, but still can't avoid this condition from
happening occasionally (i.e. long weekend) even with a lot of maintenance
(and aggressive use of RBLs). And this on a machine with 768MB of memory, it
shouldn't be a resources issue.... Ironically, the full version of Outlook
chokes just as bad as every other client I've tried, but OE has proven
itself a pinnacle of stability (I cannot recall the last time it crashed).

2) Will display the unread count of every IMAP folder without manual
checking on my behalf. Due to the environment issues mentioned above, the
most important stuff has to be filtered server-side into a sub-mailbox that
is not deluged with spam and more mundane matters. I don't care as much
about the unread count of "Inbox" as I do of "Trouble".

In short, I'm using OE because I need a functional IMAP client that isn't
crashing every time I sneeze. The short list that I have tried includes:

- Netscape Messenger, vers. 4.7 - 6.x (both Windows and unix)
- Mozilla release 1 and prior
- Mutt, pine and kmail (on both linux and *BSD)
- Eudora latest release

It is the mail situation which has kept me tied to windows. Perhaps I should
just change my e-mail address....

Mike

P.S. Far be it from me to defend OE, but since at least Sept 1999- the month
I switched to IMAP and have archives to date it- I have had exactly 0 virus
infections. Perhaps it's because I read bugtraq and patch religiously, or
perhaps it's because I know better than to load .bat/com/exe/pif/scr files
received via e-mail. However, I do not maintain anything in the address
book, in the expectation that one *will* eventually slip through.