Readiness for IPV6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed Jul 10 00:01:35 UTC 2002

Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:31:54PM -0700, Christian Nielsen wrote:
> > start run cmd ipv6install
>
> That's not what the KB article I read said, besides the fact
> that actually
> adding addresses/routes is a DOS prompt routine.

<flame>
Ah.. so everywhere you see 'text' and have to input 'text' is DOS?
Cool bash == DOS, shells are DOS.

A thing like this:
8<---------
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>
--------->8
is called a "Command Prompt" and has nothing to do with DOS.
Why doesn't anybody complain when it's on *ix boxes ?
It's shell everywhere then :)

> > Windows .NET Server and beyond  The next version of Windows will
include
> > the first fully-supported release of the Microsoft IPv6 stack. This
stack
> > has been designed for full production use, suitable for live
commercial
> > deployments
>
> Depends on how you define 'suitable', I'm expecting a whole
> new breed of exploits.
They didn't 'exploit' me yet in the last 3 years I am using the
development versions of the stack :)
And everything has bugs

</Flame>

And now for some usefull content:
http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6/
http://research.microsoft.com/msripv6/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/start.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/communications/
nameadrmgmt/introipv6.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/Downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/faq.asp

And you'd probably like http://www.hs247.com/ too with loads of links
or what about: http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Protocols/IP/IPng/

And as for your "it's difficult':
http://www.ipng.nl/index.php3?page=setup.html&forcepage=windows.html
Or the single line: "ipv6 adu 3/fec0::1"

Interface 3 (site 1): Local Area Connection
  uses Neighbor Discovery
  link-level address: 00-d0-b7-8f-5d-42
    preferred address fec0::1, infinite/infinite
    preferred address 3ffe:8114:2000:240:2d0:b7ff:fe8f:5d42,
2591593s/604393s (addrconf)

Tada ;)

I think the problem is reading the docs is difficult.
IPv6 will be/is autoconfig all the way fortunatly so those
'native config' tools isn't going to be used by a lot of people.

Maybe also a nice tool for people saying "but IPv4 has a GUI on windows"
you might like to type 'netsh' ones in your "DOS" prompt ;)

btw.. DOS == command.com, NT = cmd.exe, there *is* a difference.

</end of (re-)education>

Greets,
 Jeroen