multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Jul 9 23:04:24 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 11:51:08AM -0700, Toerless Eckert wrote:

> FUD. What problem with billing models ? If you are an ISP, you are selling
> bandwidth. If another receiver joins the content , you get another piece of
> egress bandwidth filled up which hopefully is being paid for. If you need
> to cross-charge this back to the ingress-point, so do it. You just
> technically can't simply have accounting points on your exchange points
> anymore if you need to do so, you also need them on the delivery side of
> your network. More complex things than this have been done in the past.
> And of course, that could even be improved if demand for technology
> improvements was there (like eyeball count transmission via PIM).

How about as a service provider... How could you possibly bill someone for
a packet if you have no idea how much of your network resources it will
consume?

Most people bill at the customers' port, as a receiver of multicast there
are no issues, but as a sender I havn't seen anyone come up with a
satisfactory way to charge for it.