multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

Stephen Sprunk ssprunk at cisco.com
Tue Jul 9 18:33:37 UTC 2002

Thus spake "David Meyer" <dmm at sprint.net>
> Here's my $0.02 on the whole multicast thing. We've been at this
> for a number of years now, and robust, ubiquitous multicast
> on the internet is really nowhere in sight. Kind of sounds like
> QoS, and maybe there's a lesson there (20 years of research and
> IETF activity, yielding, well, what?).

OTOH, multicast and QOS are both widely deployed inside most large corporate
networks and are rapidly approaching ubiquity.  They both effectively solve
business problems and therefore there's a big motivation for them, and the
IETF's efforts have been extremely fruitful.  Don't let the IETF's (or NANOG's)
ISP-centric membership blind you to that.