multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

David Charlap david.charlap at marconi.com
Tue Jul 9 17:50:08 UTC 2002

Chris Parker wrote:
> It may be a bit higher, but the number who access multicast content
> is decidedly tiny.  More content would probably push it higher, as
> much fun as it is watching the ISS live on Nasa TV, it does get a
> bit dry.  :)

I think this is a case of "if you build it, they will come".

RealPlayer's default configuration is to first attempt to use multicast,
then fail-over to UDP, then fail-over to TCP.  In other words, if
multicast is available, the program will use it.

I don't know about other streaming clients, but I would guess that
others would behave similarly.

-- David