multicast (was Re: Readiness for IPV6)

Chris Parker cparker at starnetusa.net
Tue Jul 9 15:06:10 UTC 2002

At 10:51 AM 7/9/2002 -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:

>In a message written on Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 10:39:35AM -0400, Jared Mauch
>wrote:
> >       They aren't aware of the savings they can see, consider the
> > savings too small, don't know how to configure, can't configure,
> > break the config, etc.. the list goes on and on.
>
>Speaking from a provider who used to run multicast, and now doesn't:
>
>Customers don't want it.
>
>I can count our customer requests for multicast on both hands for
>the last two years.  Of those, only one thought it was important,
>the rest were just playing with it.  In fact, pretty much the only
>place we see it anymore is on RFP's from educational groups.
>
>My own view is that customers don't want it, because end users
>don't have it.  Dial up users will probably never get multicast.

Yahoo/Broadcast.com pushed this pretty heavily.  MS's own media player
supports multicast, so there definitely a *lot* of clients out there.

http://broadcast.yahoo.com/home.html

There are a list of providers supporting multicast in conjunction with
Yahoo/Broadcast.com found at:

http://www.broadcast.com/mcisp/

I see quite a few cable and dialup providers on there ( and I work for
one of 'em... )

To find out if you are viewing via unicast/multicast in Windows Media
Player, the option is View->Statistics, then in the Network section...

-Chris
--
    \\\|||///  \          StarNet Inc.      \         Chris Parker
    \ ~   ~ /   \       WX *is* Wireless!    \   Director, Engineering
                   \ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net