Internet vulnerabilities

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Fri Jul 5 15:11:54 UTC 2002

:: Said in my best Dr. Evil voice ::

Ok, here is my master plan to take down the Internet.  First, we will spend
two weeks writing up several hundred seemingly simple, short questions
and innane statements regarding ORBS, filtering RFC1918 space, Peering, and
all of Nanog's other favorite topics.  Then, we'll start posting the
messages to NANOG addressed from two seemingly intelligent ex-dot-comer's
named Bob and Jay.  Thus, our code name for this project will be "Jay and
Silent Bob Strike Back".

We'll start by sending the first message out to NANOG.  Now, you know
that all the IMPORTANT engineers on the Internet have no way to resist
reading these messages and responding to them.  The threads will
begin to build in traffic during the subsequent hours taking up the precious
brain power of critical engineers.  Every hour, we will submit a new
message from our database - sent, of course, through some open relay so the
message sources are randomized and hard to filter and with private source
addresses so they cannot be traced.  After a single day, the
traffic level on NANOG will be so great that it will have effectively
consumed all available resources for every NANOG member, rendering them
completely unable to do any work.  The traffic from these emails, which are
replicated and amplified by engineers who can't resist responding to our
innane, repetative, and silly messages, will grow exponentially until all
peers and backbone circuits on the Internet are full.  No one will notice
their threshold alarms going off.  No one will notice HPOV desperately
trying to page them.  No one will see the tickets queuing in their ticket
systems.  No one will notice Instant Messages from loved ones warning them
that the Internet is imploding.  No one will see us as we move in and take
over the world!!!!!!

Any questions?

:: reaches for a hot pocket ::

Dr. Evil.