Internet vulnerabilities

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Thu Jul 4 22:55:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Jason Lewis wrote:
> I think most people are grouping terrorist into the "strap a bomb to your
> body and commit suicide" stereotype.  Is there a possibility that
> intelligent terrorists exist?  Or even people that have the knowledge and
> sympathize with them?  OBL used a satellite phone, they found laptops in
> Afghanistan, there is evidence they are using the web to transmit
> information to each other.  I think someone out there has a clue about
> computers.

I'm sure a number of people have seen this article already:

	http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,41206,00.html

	The Technology Secrets of Cocaine Inc.
	Colombian cartels have spent billions of dollars to build one of
	the world's most sophisticated IT infrastructures. It's helping
	them smuggle more dope than ever before.
	By Paul Kaihla, July 2002 Issue

The article goes on to talk about how the drug dealers are using complex
data-mining techniques (and in one instance an AS400) to run and protect
their businesses.

cheers!