Sprint peering policy

Rizzo Frank frank.rizzo at ghettocolo.com
Thu Jul 4 14:55:49 UTC 2002

Gordon Cook wrote:
 > I don't post here much

Any chance of changing that?  After listening to endless banter from
Ralph Doncaster, I'd welcome of your latest interview with Bill St.
Arnaud and Wade Hong on CANET*3.1415927. Pretty please with a plastic
figurine of the delectable Ms. Jane on top?

 > Finally I'd like to ask a question in return.  I am trying to look at
 > what will grow up on the ashes of the current industry collapse.

Larger large players, more basement web hosters.

 > Fiber to the home is beginning to appear in a few
 > isolated areas.

It will disappear just as quickly.  Has, in some places.  A few years
back, VC's were wooed by the concept.   They didn't know what the heck
it was, nor did they care, so long as those pitching it (who knew even
less about it, for the most part) kept dropping buzzards such as
"broadband" and "fiber" over and over.  Now's the wake-up call.  It just
isn't cost-effective, which might explain why every company offering
FTTH services in the States is either f'd, soon-to-be f'd, or abandoned
the plans in favor of something more viable like cable.  Whatever
happened to WINfirst?

 > Are there folk with adequate
 > routes and connectivity that would undertake to form a network that
 > might be independent of the current internet  core back bone of what
 > (112,000 routes?) on top of which sit the half dozen or so Tier one
 > players that peer primarily with each other and demand transit $$$
 > from everyone  else?  Web and email stay on the legacy backbone...new
 > services migrate to a backbone with a cost structure unencumbered by
 > the tier one oligopolists?

No.

 > PS. Anyone interested in  trekking in Nepal in October please let me
 > know off list.  eg http://cookreport.com/everest.shtm

When?  I'm handnig out summaries of the Cook Report at the
Princeton-Harvard game on the 26th.  Then it's off to Shanghai to crash
the ICANN meeting.  Then Eugene to lobby for macro-allocations and true
financial disclosure/accountability at the ARIN conference.  Beginning
of the month works best. I've been benching 300 and tracing Broadwing
cross-country fiber routes by foot in preparation, hopefully you'll be
able to keep up! Have any other internet luminaries expressed an
interest in going?

Frank "Proud to be an American" Rizzo

PS: I had a bet with my boss: how many of you are watching fireworks
tonight?  Mail me privately and I'll post a summary to the list.