Sprint peering policy (fwd)

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Mon Jul 1 23:25:55 UTC 2002

Your argument, specifically regarding customer's expectations vis-a-vis
their purchase agreement has nothing to do with peering and everything to do
with connectivity. A customer has every right to expect connectivity to
Internet destinations, but has no right to tell their provider HOW to do
it -- they simply have the right to decide WHETHER the isp can handle his
packets at all (or say, which destinations).

If a provider is providing connectivity for its customers, the decision to
peer has nothing to do with the customer, provided the customer has decided
to give customer packets to the provider.

If a provider provides excellent connectivity, but for simplicity's sake
does not want to deal with 100 extra interfaces and peering sessions, it is
the provider's option. If this provider becomes big and successful by
following this model because his customers keep deciding to give him
packets, no one outside of the provider's management really has the right to
influence that decision process. If the provider fails, its because
customers haven't decided to provide the provider packets. Either way, the
decision has nothing to do with outsiders.

I can tell you you will save a ton of money by peering with me, but that
doesn't mean you are bright enough to do it. In fact, you are more likely to
suspect my motivations. Plenty of _large_ networks have been screwed by
peering arrangements that take advantage of the topology of the _larger_
network's structure -- I don't think the lesson gets forgotten just because
there is a new crop of small networks that think they are up and comers. We
can talk about big networks failing (financially) all the time, but we don't
even have the time to keep track of all the little networks that made a big
deal about peering with everything they could at a NAP or elsewhere and then
just faded without so much as a goodbye email stating their BGP session
would be going away forever.

I am sure anyone who has played in more than 1 NAP for any length of time
can share 5 stories about how their NOC diligently tried to notify their
peer of each hiccup (initially) then eventually went to notifying peers if
they were down for x amount of time, and then after y amount of time
realized the session wouldn't come back up on its own and started to
research whether the company was even still around.

All of this costs money and energy (people-bandwidth) so you have to decide
is it really worth the bother? Monkeys (as you put it) can buy transit cheap
nowadays. Very few new networks have the level of usage to make a widely
peered (geographically, not # of peers) strategy actually make cost-sense,
so essentially peering with someone who is overextending themselves is just
creating headache for you and your network later. Customers pay a fee that
should include the amount of headache they create. Peering implies (to me)
that each network creates an equal amount of headache for the other, and
hopefully approaches zero over time.

And as was mentioned many times, peering with the easy guys is just that,
people only complain about peering when they try the less easy ones.

And I top quoted.

Deepak Jain
AiNET