Sprint peering policy (fwd)

Ukyo Kuonji kawaii_iinazuke at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 1 18:15:21 UTC 2002

>From: Paul A Flores <floresp10 at cox.net>
>
>Since this is basically a financial issue (and not really a regulatory
>issue), the only way you could make it 'fair' is to have some kind of
>mandate from a government body to MAKE peering 'fair'. The only way _I_
>would buy off on that, would be to have some kind of subsidy paid from tax
>dollars to the carriers in question to 'force' them to peer with people who
>have no other redeeming value.

You wouldn't buy the notion of reciprical billing?  I think this would most
likely be the fairest, but maybe the hardest to implement.  It would either
have to be done at the end points, or at every interconnect.  In this
method, if the traffic across an interconnect would truely be a 1 to 1
ratio, then the bills would cancel each other out, where the 1 to 1.6 or so
would lean in towards favoring the company taking more traffic onto it's
network.

It's just a thought, and I am not sure how it would work world-wide.