whois.register.com working?

Allan Liska allan at allan.org
Mon Jul 1 09:50:54 UTC 2002

Hello Cho,

Monday, July 01, 2002, 5:39:01 AM, you wrote:

CMF> I've been trying to check out domains from whois.register.com, however, it
CMF> always reports "No match for domain"!!

CMF> Is it working? Do you know where I can query domains details registered in
CMF> register.com? Many thanks!

This is probably best posted to the isp-dns list, but the short answer
to your question is that the register.com whois server only shows
results for domains registered through register.com:

#whois -h whois.register.com hostsec.com

       [snip]

      Allan Liska

      [snip]

   Registrar Name....: Register.com
   Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
   Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

   Domain Name: HOSTSEC.COM

#whois -h whois.register.com allan.org

No match for "allan.org".

Your best bet when searching for domains is to query rs.internic.net,
then query the appropriate registrar.

allan
--
allan