Fwd: SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

Steven J. Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Thu Jan 31 23:17:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> > the unix box I'm sitting on, which isn't natted, and isn't serving
> > anything, lists 133 open tcp connections.
>
> One would hope that a single metric would not be the basis for a
> termination.

One would hope that *that* metric wouldn't be involved. I routinely
could have a couple ssh clients, an ftp client and one or two web browsers
open...

2 x ssh = 2 tcp connections.
1 x ftp = 2 tcp connections, 1 command and 1 data.
1 x browser = potentially several connections, depending on how much
content there is on the page I'm viewing.

--
JustThe.net LLC - Steve "Web Dude" Sobol, CTO      ICQ: 56972932/WebDude216
website: http://JustThe.net  email: sjsobol at JustThe.net  phone: 216.619.2NET