SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

Ukyo Kuonji kawaii_iinazuke at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 23:03:32 UTC 2002

>The point is that customers don't pay for 100% of the available bandwidth.
>Customers couldn't afford to pay for guaranteed 100% BW to all desinations
>all the time. Hence, companies determine how much BW a typical user
>is likely to use, build to that, and charge the customers based on how
>much it cost to provide it. When folks use the service atypically, they are
>using resources they didn't pay for.

The company I currently work for pays has a contract that causes us to pay
around $50 / meg.  A typical cable customer (by our traffic to customer
count) uses about 5K, on average.  If we are paying $50 per meg, should we
be charging this customer $.25 a month for Internet transit?  Granted, we
have power and Juniper routers, and OC48s to pay for, but that also should
be very small.

I think that the cable companies are more concerned with you stealing IP
address space, and possible denying service to another customer because of
it.