Fwd: SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Jan 31 22:45:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Eric A. Hall wrote:

> Dan Hollis wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Eric A. Hall wrote:
> > >   More than ~4 simultaneous TCP connections open at once.
> >
> > False positives galore...
>
> Then use six or eight or 20000 or whatever number is above the 90% false
> positive threshold

the unix box I'm sitting on, which isn't natted, and isn't serving
anything, lists 133 open tcp connections.

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in
the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary,
selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of
tyranny. - James Madison, Federalist Papers 47 -  Feb 1, 1788