SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Thu Jan 31 22:02:40 UTC 2002

	how to identify non-host based devices:

	1) check out mac-address ranges
	2) count flows/ip to determine if this
pattern appears to be legit.  (this in theory could also be done
to prevent file sharing systems that keep a large number of
peer-to-peer connections)
	3) port/ip based filtering

	I suspect that for the people who went out and
bought the linksys/other routers that want to link up their
two home computers you will see a few that just say "hey, it's just
another $5/mo and i don't have to worry about this device i got
at frys/best buy/compusa/whatnot that i don't really understand".

	there's [almost alyways] a way to beat any system.  I think
they are just trying to reduce the support costs of people with
these devices at a time when they are getting bad PR (at least here in
MI) about the switchover from @home-> comcast.

	the uninitiated will blame comcast when it's their
router/nat/whatnot unit.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net