Fwd: SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

Gregory Urban urban at cs.umbc.edu
Thu Jan 31 19:50:38 UTC 2002

Hmm, isn't this the same industry that charged us additional fees for each
television in a house that was hooked up to the CableTV service?  Why oh
why is anyone surprised by this tactic?  Especially from a monopoly.

Let's face it, if the company wants to offer a service, they have the
option to specify the terms of the service.  If they say the residential
cable access product is for one computer - that's the service.  If they
require a purchase of additional IP addresses to allow the user additional
IP addresses - that's the service.  If they want to offer a business class
service with as many IP addresses as justifiable using ARIN guidelines -
that's the service.

You don't like it, don't buy it.  They are under no obligation to give you
what you want, although it usually does help sales.

Greg U