traffic filtering

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 24 16:12:58 UTC 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Joe Abley wrote:
> I guess the rule of thumb when numbering devices which need to
> coexist with Windows is "avoid 255".

How about "when doing networking avoid Windows" instead?  ;^)

Being at a site which not only uses .0 & .255 addresses in our network but
also has a "255" in two of our our base net numbers (128.255.0.0/16 &
129.255.0.0/16), I appeal to sanity & common sense in requesting that folks
not blindly filter on octets of 0 or 255 when they don't (& can't) know the
corresponding net masking.