DNS DOS increasing?

Karyn Ulriksen valkaryn at valkaryn.net
Mon Jan 21 16:40:05 UTC 2002

RE: DNS DOS increasing?I've seen this behavior before, also.  I thought it
was interesting that two servers side by side recieving the same
attacks/ratios only serving DNS (BIND 8.2.x*) and  acted in this manner:

        Redhat 6.2 w/dual proc 833 512/ram    started "loosing" RR records
        Solaris 7 on a Sparc 10 (hehe) w/256    rebooted and served the
correct records

I'm curious to see how other OSes react to these attacks.  My guess is that
BSD systems (such as FreeBSD and BSDi) will react similarly to the Solaris
based on my past experience with these systems.  So I am curious too see if
the RR record "loss" is an OS specific behaviour, especially since Redhat
has priors in misplacing information in earlier versions of the OS.

* I say BIND 8.2.x, because this continued to occur through the various BIND
8.2 releases.

Best regards,

Karyn Ulriksen
Valkaryn Internet Group
email:  valkaryn at valkaryn.net
"Decisions should be made in the space of seven breaths."

  email:  valkaryn at valkaryn.net
  "Decisions should be made in the space of seven breaths."