router startup behavior

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Tue Jan 15 07:52:44 UTC 2002

unlikely.

"route-filtering", "BGP" and "route announcement" all go hand-in-hand.
all are control-plane functions.

for router-vendors that matter, i doubt that the behavior you describe occurs.

the most likely cause would be one of:
  (a) a bug.  (but if it is there, i'm surprised it isn't causing more
stress/oscillation)
  (b) people changing route-policy.  ie. it isn't "router starting up" but
more likely
      someone going "route-map FOO deny 20"; "no match ...", "match ...".
  (c) script used to configure router(s) adds a 'network' statement prior
to trimming
      route-filters
  (d) too many people experimenting with route-injectors on that
live-production-
      network-known-as-the-internet.

cheers,

lincoln.