Reverse DNS and SMTP

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Thu Feb 28 20:49:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:35:09PM -0700, Daniel Lark wrote:

> You are most correct, it is definitely a double edged sword. Let's say
> you try to reverse DNS on an address who's nameserver is down or
> otherwise unreachable, what then? Some admins I know deliberately do run
> reverse DNS as they view it as system cracker tool, or they feel it is
> an unwarranted load, RFCs be damned. Is this admin decision the fault of
> the user?

	Use a non clueless isp.  the market is fairly saturated in
most places with service providers.

> You are not first one to try this. I have tried this myself and a
> financial type didn't get an important email because of it. You know the
> rest of the story.

	What I do is format my smtp headers such that a very simple
regex can find mail with no reverse dns and dump it in a spam folder.
I find this catches a lot of the messages.

	I try and let people know but for example, I am unable to
find anyone at American Express or NWA that can fix their dns.
(others are prompt in fixing their dns problems).

> A better solution is to check the ip and see if it is an MX record for
> the domain the mail purports to be from.

	This has a number of flaws.  I won't delve into them though.

> Just my opinion, and I could wrong.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net