Satellite latency

Simon Lyall simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Wed Feb 27 18:49:53 UTC 2002

About half our bandwith is currently satellite and has been for years. We
use it directly to home customers, small (64kb-2Mb) wholesale customers
and for our own pops (over 45Mb).

Latency - 95% of customers never do anything interactive, satellite is
useless for gamers but for ssh and the like it just feels like a dialup
(which I'm using now and which "pauses" for a couple of seconds every now
and then)

TCP Windows - We show home customers how to adjust these but don't bother
for any of our hardware.

Thats about it, the whole thing isn't rocket science, packets go from A to
B and take a bit longer to get their. You have asymetric routing but the
only problems that happen is that US NOC admins run around screaming when
you tell them about it.

Here is how we used to do it:

interface Hssi1/1/1
 description Newtec modulator: PAS8:20K, XXXMbps, 12.575GHz, xxxMSym, FECx/x
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 encapsulation frame-relay
 ip route-cache flow
 no ip route-cache distributed
 no ip mroute-cache
 no keepalive
!
interface Hssi1/1/1.1 point-to-point
 description PVC to TIG-AUS-SYD-1.IHUG.NET
 ip address 203.109.xx.xx 255.255.255.252
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip mroute-cache
 frame-relay interface-dlci 20 CISCO
!

and the same soft of thing in the other end.

We have changed everything to PC-based transmitters and receivers however.

A live sat-routed ip you can ping is 203.109.203.107 . Please don't flood
it or anything though. The return is via ground bandwidth, a comparison
ground routed ip on the same network is 203.98.23.114, please don't abuse
this either.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: simon.lyall at ihug.co.nz
Senior Network/System Admin |  Postmaster  | Home: simon at darkmere.gen.nz